Wagga Wagga Wins the Inaugural Junior State Cup Southern Conference
The New South Wales Touch Association (NSWTA) General Manager, Dean Russell announced that Wagga Wagga Council supported by the Wagga Wagga Touch Association had been successful in winning the tender for the first Junior State Cup Southern Conference.
“We have taken some time in securing this location and venue. There were a large number of locations who submitted strong tenders, some of which we had not seen previously. With today's announcement of Wagga Wagga as the location for 2019 through to 2021, we certainly believe it to be the right decision for our community. We are pleased with being able to bring such a high-calibre event to the south-west area of our state” Russell stated. “We believe the new delivery model of the Junior State Cup, will strengthen the development of Touch Football in the southern regions of NSW and also allow us to re-engage with our participants".
“We anticipate approximately 180-200 teams will participate in the first year of the new structure in the Southern Conference and hold a firm view on growing that participation further through the course of the tenure,” said Russell.
Wagga Wagga Council Mayor Greg Conkey was excited about the benefits that the Junior State Cup will bring to the region.
“Wagga Wagga is very excited to be chosen as the inaugural host city for the Junior State Cup Southern Conference,” Mayor of the City of Wagga Wagga Councillor Greg Conkey OAM said.
“With more than 3000 participants and spectators expected to attend, this event will not only highlight our city’s magnificent sporting facilities, but the three-year announcement will bring a multimillion dollar economic benefit to our growing city.
Congratulations to all involved in securing this fantastic event for the City of Good Sports.
Wagga Wagga Touch Association President Chris Dolahenty was delighted by the announcement “It will be an excellent opportunity for Wagga's finest young Touch Footballers to showcase their playing skills and hospitality in their own backyard”.
“The Junior State Cup - Southern Conference, will also enable more of the Western, Southern and ACT areas to participate and enhance their Touch Football skills and pit themselves against Metropolitan teams, without the travel and cost barriers that have recently existed. This hopefully will lead to more young players, both male and female engaging in Touch Football around NSW” Dolahenty added.
The event will be held at the home of Wagga Wagga Touch Association Jubilee Park Precinct.
The Junior State Cup Southern Conference will be held on the following dates:
• 2019: Friday 22nd February-Sunday 24th February
• 2020: Friday 21st February-Sunday 23rd February
• 2021: Friday 26th February-Sunday 28th February
For accommodation assistance please contact the very good people at the Wagga Wagga Visitor Information Centre Phone: 1300 100 122
Any enquiries can be directed to NSWTA General Manager, Dean Russell, 0417 242 989.
• The Event will bring to the region
- 3500 participants (players, coaching staff, officials & match officials)
- plus an additional 8500 entourage/supporters (parents, siblings, friends)
- This will equate to over 42,000 bed nights for local accommodation providers.
• Forecast economic impact of $2.3 to 3 million per event/per annum.
• 2019-2021 Junior State Cup Southern Conference held in Wagga/2019-2021 Northern Conference held in Port Macquarie.
• There will be a State Final after each of the Conferences are played. Tender released today
- The top 8 teams from each division in each Conference will progress to the State Final
- Only the 10-18 Division will be contested at the State Final.
• From 2019, the additional participation opportunities at the Conference level are:
- Development Teams: Affiliates will be able to now enter secondary teams into divisions as per prior to 2016
- Under 8’s Boys & Girls Divisions: This division will be offered at the Conference level only and not progress to the State Final
- All Abilities Divisions: are being considered for inclusion in the future of this competition.
Stuart Ayres MP, Minister for Jobs, Investment, and Tourism urges people...
With less than two weeks until entries close, organizers of Art Unlimited,...
The 2019-20 Budget is the next stage of the Morrison Government’s plan...
On March 21st Australia came together to celebrate Harmony Day, National...
bentART, Australia’s largest LGBTQI annual visual arts exhibition, has...
Think Conveyancing Wagga Wagga A conveyancing-only law firm, where top priority is to maximise your savings while minimising your legal risk. Call now.
Firefly Express Coaches Firefly Express Coaches offers Daily Express Passenger Coach Services between Melbourne, Sydney and Adelaide.
Wagga RSL Club Motel and Apartments Offering a variety of excellent accommodation options for both leisure and corporate travellers in the heart of Wagga.