Budding regional songwriters to be mentored by industry pros
Keen locals aged 16 - 21 are invited to apply to be part of a free, two-day workshop in each of six targeted regions, where they will write songs, record and learn about music industry careers from some of Australia's most exciting hitmakers.
The application process, closing on Friday 10 December, is online at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/SummerWorkshopEoI and from the bio on Instagram @gosongmakers. Sixteen young people will be selected in each region.
Visiting mentors include APRA Music Award-nominated artist/producer Milan Ring, whose tour credits include The Avalanches, Sampa the Great and The Rubens; platinum producer/artist and triple j favourite, Taka Perry, who has worked with Ruel, Denzel Curry, Max Frost and A.GIRL; multi award-winning Potbelleez frontman, Ilan Kidron, one of Australia's most in-demand co-writers; Lily Richardson from sister rock duo, CLEWS, and artist/producer, Annie Hamilton, who founded acclaimed indie pop outfit, Little May. Joining mentors in Lismore is local artist/producer, Blake Rhodes, part of award-winning hip-hop trio Teddy Lewis King; and, in Goulburn and Wagga, SongMakers alum, emerging Sydney-based producer and artist, Chloe Dadd, whose recent studio credits include Courtney Barnett and Lime Cordiale.
The January workshop details are:
- Port Macquarie/Birpai Country (10,11 Jan), MakerSpace, Milan Ring & Taka Perry
- Albury/Wiradjuri Country (12,13 Jan), Murray Conservatorium, Milan Ring & Taka Perry
- Lismore/Bundjalung Country (17,18 Jan), NORPA, Lily Richardson, Taka Perry & Blake Rhodes
- Coffs Harbour/Gumbayngirr Country (19,20 Jan), the Multicultural Hub, Lily Richardson & Taka Perry
- Goulburn (17,18 Jan), Hume Conservatorium, Annie Hamilton, Ilan Kidron & Chloe Dadd
- Wagga Wagga/Wiradjuri Country (19,20 Jan), Civic Theatre, Annie Hamilton, Milan Ring & Chloe Dadd
Each workshop will close with a playback session where friends and families can hear the new songs.
Tina Broad, SongMakers Project Lead, APRA AMCOS: "Collaboration and connection makes the global industry tick: just about every great song has been written in a team process. And connection through music is also a powerful part of how we've all coped through the trials of the past year. We can't wait to meet some budding new regional songwriters through these sessions and keep the connections going as we match them with some really inspiring mentors."
De Bortoli Wines’ 90+ years of winemaking experience was on display at...