Around the Riverina
take a journey
About the Riverina
Located in southern New South Wales, the Riverina extends from the rolling foothills of the south-west slopes to the outback. A showcase of spectacular scenery, gourmet food and wine, historic landmarks and museums, arts and crafts, adventure and sports and legendary country hospitality, the Riverina is the ideal place to discover the natural and relaxed feel of contemporary rural Australia.
Do and See
The Riverina is a tantalising mix of the old and new: heritage buildings, contemporary art and theatre, fascinating museums, award-winning restaurants, haunted mansions, internationally-regarded vineyards, historic train and planes, unique wildlife and stunning gardens.
The Riverina boasts an action-packed calendar of events to cater for all interests: food and wine festivals, racing (horses, dogs, camels, sheep and even yabbies!), jazz festivals, vintage car rallies, steam engine demonstrations, historic military aircraft flying demonstrations, country shows, sheep dog trials, shearing competitions, bush poetry recitals, fishing competitions and gardening festivals.
The Riverina is famous for its love of sport. Whatever your passion, the Riverina boasts first-class facilities and clubs that readily welcome visitors.
The Riverina is one of the most productive and diverse agricultural regions in the country, giving rise to our claim as the “food bowl of Australia”. Buzzing with fabulous restaurants, cafes and clubs that feature local produce, the Riverina is a haven for lovers of fine foods and wines. There are numerous wineries, excellent restaurants and gourmet food producers for you to visit throughout the region.
Best of all, the Riverina is only a few hours from where you live. The region is readily accessible by major highways from Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide or Canberra and is well-services by air, coach and rail services. A range of accommodation options – including historic colonial hotels, luxurious motels, village pubs, bed and breakfasts, farm stays, caravan parks, camping sites and backpacker hostels is available.
- Hay – http://www.hay.nsw.gov.au
- Deniliquin – www.denitourism.com.au
- Carrathool Shire – www.carrathool.nsw.gov.au
- Griffith – www.griffith.com.au
- Leeton – www.leetontourism.com.au
- Narrandera – www.narrandera.nsw.gov.au
- Coolamon –/www.coolamon.nsw.gov.au
- Lockhart – www.lockhart.nsw.gov.au
- Junee – www.visitjunee.com.au
- Temora – www.temora.com.au
- Cootamundra – www.cootamundra.nsw.gov.au
- Gundagai – /www.gundagai.nsw.gov.au
- West Wyalong – www.blandshire.nsw.gov.au
- Conargo Shire Council - www.conargo.nsw.gov.au
- Jerilderie Shire Council - www.jerilderie.nsw.gov.au
- Murrumbidgee Shire Council - www.murrumbidgee.local-e.nsw.gov.au